Monday, September 5, 2011

In with the new....

My goal for August upon my arrival home from India: to gain back the eight pounds I lost while backpacking for the month, and to do so with a gluttonous appetite. The "India" diet left me feeling weak and waif-ish. I got started right away at the Healthrow airport, spending fifty quid on British chocolate at the duty free shop, and then a charming airplane dinner date with an investment banker from Dubai. British Airways philosophizes like Porter - the food's not bad and the wine is free.

Ten days in Oshawa were spent with my amazing mom, enjoying red wine in wicker porch chairs, driving into Toronto to buy live lobster, whipping up chunky guacamole, makin' ribs in the slow cooker with bbq sauce and a can of coke, thrown on the hot grill right before consumption for a touch of crisp.

The three hour dinner became a routine part of our day, and needless to say, my hips reappeared. I was actually feeling a little bummed out about returning to Montreal, going back to work and having less time for indulgence. But the party has only just begun. Montreal hosts the best street festivals towards the end of summer. The city is alive and on fire and so is my attitude.

I made a trip up to Jean Talon with Chesley to get some ingredients for canning week. The bounty of the market is exceptional at this time of year. Peaches. Tomatoes. Basil.

There are three salsas and three marmalade variations on the list: salsa verte, peach salsa and salsa taquera... and for the marmies..... seville orange, grapefruit and lemon, strawberry and lime.

Hell yeah.

We christened the house with a fabulous birthday party for Steve. My chocolate cake got rave reviews, and glistened with des petits fruits and Bailey's creme fouette. 

I got my groove back.









No comments:

Post a Comment